Projects: Misc. Props & Decorations 2

Here are a more various props and decorations that I have created.

Bone Pile

I wanted something to add to the Giant Spider to give him(her?) more impact. I thought a pile of bones from past victims would work well. To get away from the regular rectangle base and make it look more natural (especially since it will be placed on the driveway) I cut out a kidney bean shape out of scrap plywood and then arranged a bunch of cheap foam skull & bones. I used black spray foam insulation (meant for landscaping - I bought a bunch of cans on clearance years ago) to fill in the gaps and glue down the bones. I patted the expanding foam with a plastic bag to break it up. When dry it looks like natural ground/mud. Because it's black I'll just have to paint the few areas of plywood showing through and give it a quick dry-brush.

Click on any of the thumbnails below to view the full-size image in a pop-up window.


Here is the bone pile in place Halloween night in front of the giant spider. Looks really creepy if I do say so. Since it was such a relatively quick and easy project I might make more next year.

Zombie Head

I was working on this zombie head with a mind to use it on a Shiatsu Massager animated zombie prop that never got finished. I had a half-mask from years past that I glued onto a modified wig head. I added the lower jaw I got from a Bag of Bones and then used Celuclay to blend the mask and add the tongue and other details. The eyeball was created using the Easy Eyes technique from Haunters Hangout and goes a long way to increase the creepy factor. Work on this prop will continue for 2009.

Click on any of the thumbnails below to view the full-size image in a pop-up window.


Broken-down Fence

There was an awkward dead space next to the garage beside the front walk leading up to the porch that I wanted to fill. I thought a broken-down picket fence would be perfect. Since prop storage is getting to be an issue I constructed it out of wood using ready-made pickets from Home Depot. This way I can store it outside and as an added bonus it will weather naturally over the years. I wanted a few broken boards for a zombie to be lurking behind. At first I physically broke some boards but it created very sharp splinters that because it was right next to the walk someone could get injured so I used a jig saw and cut the boards. This way they were jagged but not sharp. At night I placed a strobe light behind the fence to flash on the skeleton.

Click on any of the thumbnails below to view the full-size image in a pop-up window.

Warning Sign

I picked up a few of these cheap foam signs at the dollar store and using a Bucky skull I had on hand made a quick warning sign. The foam signs were drybrushed and then glued to a 2" x 2" post. The top of the post was cut at an angle and the skull was glued & screwed to it. Some paint for the post and bit of creepy cloth finished it off.

Click on the thumbnail below to view the full-size image in a pop-up window.