Projects: Giant Spider

OK, let's say this up front. Spiders, of ANY size, scare the crap out of me. But what scares me must scare others so I figured I had to have a giant spider in my haunt. My brother came to the rescue one day with the mysterious words "I've got a little something for you in the car." What he had was the most enormous inflatable spider I had ever seen!! This thing is huge - bigger than my car as you'll see from the photos below. I'm making a sort of hood for it out of fake fur that I can attach eyes (automotive reflectors) and fangs from. I'll detail more of the process as I go along. I just can't WAIT to unveil this Halloween night!

Click on any of the thumbnails below to view the full-size image in a pop-up window.


In the spirit of getting my entire family involved I had my Mum sew the various pieces of fake fur together to make a "hood" for the spider. This wasn't that easy given the bulk of the material but it turned out great. THANKS MUM!

I wanted to test fit the straps on the "hood" so I set it up in the backyard. Again I was struck with just how big this thing is. Wow! Anyhow, I got the straps measured and will sew on Velcro for easy assembly/take-down. I had the idea to elevate it a bit rather than have it sitting on the ground - the kid-sized picnic table was just right. Of course on Halloween night it will be covered by a black tarp. The fangs are a vinyl boat bumper cut in half and filled with Great Stuff foam insulation.

Here are some shots of the spider on Halloween night. I only got 5 of the 8 eyes sewn on but it didn't matter - it really freaked people out! I had a fog machine going from behind and a strobe light going off into the fog - gave the spider a really creepy look. Next year I'll try and add motion.

UPDATE! Spider's Lair

In recent years I expanded the spider's lair. I used to hang a store bought 11' spider web in front of the garage door behind the giant spider and it looked great however it always got tangled in storage and took a lot of effort to get it untangled and set up. In its place I created a permanent knot-work spiderweb using clothesline strung between a large wooden frame. I detailed how I made this on a separate page along with cave formations to complete the look. In addition I re-worked my old spider victim prop and it made a vast improvement.